Blaupunkt...it all started with the blue dot
In the 1920s Blaupunkt still had another name. In 1923 - when radio broadcasting made its first sound in Germany – the “Ideal” company was founded in Berlin. It first produced headphones. Every single item was carefully tested by technicians and labeled with a quality symbol – the blue point.
A quality symbol turns into a trademark.
It did not take long before customers simply asked for the bluepoint-headphones. The quality symbol had turned into a trademark. In 1938 it eventually became the company's name. Until December 2008 the company had formed part of the Bosch-Group for more than sixty years. Since then it has been part of the AURELIUS Group. After World War II the company moved headquarters from Berlin to Hildesheim. A hundred years of automotive history have been accompanied by plenty of technical progress.
In 1932 the first European car radio of the Ideal company, the model Blaupunkt AS 5, laid the foundation for the current automotive sound systems. That voluminous apparatus for medium and long wave took up nearly ten litres of volume more than sixty years ago. Special car antennas did not exist. The usual antenna wire was stretched under the roof or under the foodboards. Due to its capacity this great-grand-father of the car radios could not be placed within the driver’s reach.
A remote control at the steering wheel was the perfect answer back then – an apparatus limited to only comfortable top cars nowadays. This car radio was 465 reichsmark and so one third of the price